Thursday, 6 September 2007

An amateur, or not?



I would like to take this blog post as a opportunity to praise the amateur photography of one of my friends. She had (I think they are cousins) over one day for coffee and cakes and she decided to take some pictures. But instead of lining them up and making them smile she only observed them whilst they were playing and took picutres whilst moving with them. Since she was using a digital camera she did not have to worry about taking too many pictures and wasting film; she could just go with the moment. (None of the photos has been edited in any way).

What I like most about these pictures is how the children come to life and how much more interesting these photos are. If all you had was photos to remember things by, this is how you would want to remember these kids - playing in the sun, careless and happy.

I would like to refer to what Claire Broadhurst wrote in her blog about good photography:

“I guess a lot can be put down to the technical knowledge of the photographer such as the exposure and focus of both shots, but the rest has to be down to her talent of capturing the moment and seeing the photo opportunity in the first place.”

Maybe that is true. Maybe some things just simply can’t be taught?






Sluta sluta, börja börja.




Martin

2 comments:

Missy said...

Oh those are great!

Claire said...

I really like the title of this post. It made me wonder if they were put in a gallery, would photos like this feel out of place? My opinion is that they wouldn't, they are really natural photos that start to show some of the girl's personalities. You can tell that the kids were really relaxed around the photographer as normally children play up to cameras. They feel almost like diary entries, I know that sounds odd but I mean it in the sense of your really seeing a snapshot of someone's life, not only will they make nice memories but make more interesting images to look at overall.