Thursday, 19 July 2007

Balloons are people too.



Sometimes you stumble upon something so peculiar and at the same time so excellent and amazing, it opens up your eyes to how simple life could be. The work of David Shrigley - an artist from Leicester, England- is invigorating and entertaining. Most of the work looks as if he got an idea, spent 2 minutes producing it, and then it was finished. That is one of the main reasons I respect his work, because as I mentioned before: it takes a master to make something difficult and complicated, look easy and simple.

I especially like the humour and the warmth of some of the images. There’s a childish playfulness mixed with a slightly dark side of seriousness. The image called ‘Balloon’ has all of the characteristics mentioned above. What does it say to you? What do you think of?

At first I see a cute balloon, with such a lovely and content smile it makes me smile as well. I think about childhood memories and how fun a balloon could be when you were 5 years old (or 23). The lighting of the shot tells me it’s a lovely morning, maybe even a great day. But then I think about why a person would put the balloon there. Is it because the person is a sad and lonely and uses this simple trick to cheer him/her up? No, I wouldn’t want it to be that, it’s too sad. Could it be a prank, set up by a malicious partner to scare the still sleeping other half?

I don’t know what to make of it. But I like it.

There’s more at David Shrigley’s website and some more work below.









Sluta sluta, börja börja.

Martin

No comments: